The National Iron & Steel Heritage Museum
Graystone Vault Demolition
Graystone Mansion was built in 1889 by Abram Francis Huston, son of Dr. Charles and Isabella Huston and the grandson of Rebecca Lukens. A. F. Huston succeeded his father as president of Lukens Iron and Steel Company in 1897.

Philadelphia architects Cope & Stewardson designed Graystone and its matching carriage house, employing the Collegiate Gothic Style of architecture for which the firm is famous. The mansion’s stately exterior of stone and slate is complemented by an equally handsome interior that includes fine wood beams, carved panels and decorative mantels. Abram Huston died in 1930 and his widow sold the property to the City of Coatesville in 1938. From 1939 until 1992, Graystone functioned as the City Hall office building. To hold public records, a two-story vault was installed. The photos below highlight the demolition of the vault and renovations to the adjoining rooms.